The first half of the year is drawing to a close, and we've had so many great things to be thankful for!
As we head into the holidays, I encourage you to reflect on the tremendous good fortune we all have to live in a wonderful community that supports us in our efforts to support ALL students.
I also encourage all of our students and families to disconnect, relax, and find time to spend together. I'm encouraging our staff members to do the same and resist the temptation to use time off to catch up, get ahead, or begin new projects.
While the job of an educator has in many ways truly become a 24/7 responsibility, we all need time to recharge, and doing so will better prepare us to thrive during the remainder of the year.
Please read on below for some updates, information, and celebrations. On behalf of the entire Huntley 158 family, I wish you happy holidays and a wonderful new year!
Please Complete the 5Essentials Survey
Thank you to those who have completed the 5Essentials Survey! There is still time for those parents/guardians who have not yet completed it.
The 5Essentials survey is a statewide effort by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) to gauge school climate and learning conditions in Illinois schools.
The survey provides a unique opportunity for students, teachers and parents to have a voice in improving their schools. Feedback from the tool will be shared in reports to schools in the spring of 2020 and will be reported publicly on the State School Report Card website in Fall 2020. The District is mandated to conduct a survey of school learning conditions survey every year, and your participation in this effort is critical!
- Parents/guardians with more than one child in Huntley 158 schools must take the survey for each child.
- The survey is available in English and Spanish
- It is estimated to take about 10 minutes. Link to survey: https://survey.5-essentials.org/illinois/
Safety & Security Updates
There are a few changes that will be occurring over Winter Break regarding some of our safety and security systems and protocols. Please note the following for when students return from break.
Due to a change in software, the text-to-tip lines available to make anonymous reports to schools will be changing numbers in the new year. The new anonymous reporting mechanisms are below:
- HHS: 847-659-6599 | email@example.com
- Marlowe: 847-659-4799 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Heineman: 847-659-4399 | email@example.com
- District Office, Elementary Schools, and ECC:
847-659-4636 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Raptor Visitor Management System Upgrade
Over break we will be enhancing our visitor management software (Raptor). This necessary upgrade will result in past information being deleted from the system. Therefore, all visitors will need to be re-entered into the system upon their first visit.
Please allow a few extra minutes for your first visit to a school in the new year. More information on our visitor management process can be found on our website. Thank you for your cooperation and patience.
Update Your Contact Information & Preferences
Are you missing out on messages from the District? Or are you tired of getting too many texts from us? It's easy to update your contact methods and preferences through the PowerSchool Parent Portal. Now is a great time to check your settings as we are in severe weather season.
Click here for instructions on checking and updating your information in the Powerschool Parent Portal.
As a guide:
- Most alerts go out under the "General Information" Category. These include e-newsletters, reminders about upcoming events and meetings, and school announcements.
- The "School Closure" category covers the early-morning texts, emails, and phone calls when we decide to cancel school or use our new Delayed Start Option for inclement weather or other circumstances.
- The "Virtual Bulletin Board" category is for the weekly e-mail of community flyers posted to our Virtual Bulletin Board.
- The "Emergency" category is reserved for critical situations. You may not customize this category. Messages will deliver to all available contact methods.