In order to ensure the most effective and efficient process for our students, we have decided to postpone the rollout of SHIELD testing in our buildings to Monday, August 30. Our goal in delaying testing is to provide our schools with the best possible opportunity to maintain a safe learning environment, while allowing our families to take full advantage of the added layer of safety that comes from effective weekly testing and the Test-to-Stay strategy.
To view the district’s SHIELD Testing Update (August 20, 2021), click here.
For parents and guardians interested in participating in SHIELD testing, please OPT IN here.
For staff members interested in participating in SHIELD testing, please OPT IN here.
District 158 has partnered with the University of Illinois (SHIELD) program to assist with our efforts to monitor and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in our schools and community. Testing for COVID-19 will be performed on a voluntary basis at each of our buildings and is free to all students and staff at every grade level. At this time, all students are able to participate in the testing process. However, parents may decide to OPT OUT of the testing program for each of their student(s) by completing an OPT OUT form for each student in your household. As you make this decision for your student(s) and family, please note the following details:
- The SHIELD test is a free, non-invasive diagnostic test for the COVID-19 virus conducted by collecting a saliva (spit) deposit in under five minutes, which provides results in 24 hours.
- SHIELD testing was developed at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and has a sensitivity rate of 97% and an accuracy rate of 99%.
- Individuals should not eat, drink or chew gum within 60 minutes of providing a saliva sample.
- Families will be notified of any positive test results directly by the 3rd party vendor.
- Students’ participation in this program will limit potential quarantine situations and allow students to safely remain in an in-person learning environment.
If you would like to OPT OUT of the SHIELD saliva testing program, please sign and complete an OPT OUT form which will be updated on Monday, August 9. and return to your students(s)’ building. If you would like your student(s) to participate in the SHIELD saliva testing program, no action is required.