Welcome to the vocational services in the special education department at District 158. As part of the services the district collaborates with DRS/STEP. In the state of Illinois all districts have access to collaborative relationships with DRS/STEP which can look differently one school to the next. Our focus is to work collaboratively to meet the individual needs of each student and begin the journey to paid employment.
The vocational team works with you (your child) in a variety of capacities. Listed below are a few of the tasks that we perform regularly. The services are explained in more detail below.
- Providing Pre-Employment Transition Services (PTS) to ensure you (your child) is ready for employment (i.e. mock interviews, practice applications, communicating with managers, resumes, etc.).
- Coaching you (your child) to communicate with employers, managers and colleagues (i.e request off, change availability, disclose disability (personal decision), requesting more responsibility, etc.).
- Communicate with parents/guardians regarding your child’s progress in the workplace.
- Liaison to employers, students, and their families.
- Gather feedback from employers regarding student performance and work schedules.
- Teach you (your child) natural supports available so they are able to work independently!
- Linkage to DRS/STEP
- Each student should have an individualized learning plan to help make decisions on careers and post-secondary (PS) education or training, plan a course of study, and make financial aid assessments with family members. Please review the Illinois PaCE: Postsecondary and Career Expectations to help your child create a plan for their future.