Huntley 158 schools are again sponsoring the Young Authors Program, an optional program for all kindergarten through 8th grade students that is completed at home. Participating in Young Authors puts into practice (in a fun way!) the writing process that students use throughout the school year. Students are welcome to use any stories that they have written at school as a starting point.
The students who participate in this writing competition will have their books judged by a panel of volunteers. Winners from each school will be announced.
Here are the expectations for our Young Authors:
- It is the student’s responsibility to write and illustrate the story. Parents can help with typing and handwriting but the words should be from the student.
- Books must be written by an individual (not a pair/group of students).
- Publishing ideas:
- 3 ring binder
- report cover
- online photo books
- Barebooks (not provided- available at Barebooks.com or Amazon.com)
- Homemade book binding (check out Pinterest!)
Finished books are due on Wednesday, March 11, 2020, and must include the student’s first and last name, teacher, and grade-level information in the book.
You may begin handing in books to your school office on February 18th.
Winners will be invited to the April 16, 2020, District 158 Board of Education meeting.
Please contact the Young Author’s building coordinator listed below if you have any questions.
- Tammy Carpenter, Heineman Middle School, Marlowe Middle School
- Laura Brummer, Martin Elementary, Leggee Elementary (3-5), Conley Elementary
- Christy Gibbs, Chesak Elementary, Leggee Elementary (K-2), Mackeben Elementary