Forward Together: A 2021-22 Return to School Guide for Students & Families
UPDATED August 27, 2021: View a PDF version of the 2021-22 Return to School Guide here.
In order to effectively represent the safety precautions and school procedures that will be in place as we begin the year, the district has compiled a Return to School Guide for our families, students and staff. The decisions reflected in this guidebook utilize proven and effective mitigation measures that will help stop the spread of COVID-19 in our community and allow us to do our part in bringing this pandemic to an end.
On Wednesday, August 4, Governor Pritzker released an Executive Order mandating universal masking for all students, staff, and visitors in PK-12 schools. Though this guidance directly impacts the safety precautions we are required to take as we start the year, our Board of Education approved the District’s 2021-22 Return to School plan on August 5, 2021 to take effect in the event the governor’s mask mandate is lifted. This plan details several mitigation strategies that will be implemented in our buildings during the year. Based on the recent mask mandate and most up to date public health guidance, Huntley 158 will begin the 2021-22 school year with the following mitigation strategies in place:
- Universal masking will be required for all students and staff in Huntley 158 schools and on buses.
- Physical distance of at least 3 feet will be maintained in classrooms and to the greatest extent possible in common spaces.
- Space will be maximized in cafeterias and classrooms (as needed) during lunch to the greatest extent possible.
- Parents are asked (NOT required) to share child’s vaccination status with school nurses in an effort to aid contract tracing, prioritize in-person learning and limit necessary periods of quarantine.
- Voluntary, free SHIELD COVID-19 saliva testing will be used to prevent periods of quarantine and monitor transmission in schools.
- Additional mitigation measures include proper hand hygiene, routine cleaning and disinfecting, enhanced ventilation systems, and staying home when you are sick.