Parent FAQs

How do I obtain a PowerSchool parent account?
Click here to create an account.

What do I do if my child is ill?

Please call the Absentee phone line at (847) 659-4711 to report the absence.

If I’m picking up my child early, do I have to send a note?

Yes. The student needs to bring the note to the office. A pass will be written, excusing the student from class at the appropriate time.

If my child is going to be late due to an appointment, do I still need to call and let the school know?

Yes. This will save you from receiving a call from the attendance office. Upon return from the appointment, the student needs to bring a doctor’s note with them when they sign in at the main office.

If I let my child’s teacher know that he/she will be out, due to illness, etc., do I still need to let the office know? Can I get his/her homework?

Yes. It is not the teacher’s responsibility to let the office know. It is the responsibility of the parents. Homework requests need to be called in to the teacher by 9:00 a.m. Do not leave a homework request on the Absentee Line. If the student is out only one day, you may go online and view the day’s homework via the team’s website. If homework is provided, it will be available for pick-up between 2:30 and 3:30 p.m.

How can a parent drop off an item or homework for his/her child … or speak to his/her child during the day?

So as not to interrupt the classroom and students we ask that parents not request to speak to their children during the day except in emergency situations. The office staff will gladly get a note to a student at a less disruptive time. Items/homework will be given to students twice a day, at 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m., again, to prevent disrupting the classrooms and students.

Does my child need a physical to participate in sports?

Every child needs a current physical to try out and participate in both tryout and non-tryout sports. The physical must not be more than one year old for the duration of the season of the sport for which the child is participating.

What should I do if I forget my PowerSchool parent account password?
Under the Parent Sign In, click on “Having trouble signing in?”

If you continue to have difficulties, please call the Registration office at (847) 659-6147 to have your password reset.

Is there an activity bus? If so, how does it work?

Yes. Passes may be purchased in the school office for $55.00 which includes 20 rides and $14.00 for 5 rides. Once an activity bus pass is purchased, the student must come to the office by 12:00 p.m. to sign up for the 4:00 bus. A student must sign up for a bus to be available.

Do you have more questions about Marlowe? 

Please call our office at (847) 659-4700.