Dear Red Raider Families:
As most are aware, this summer has seen significant work and upgrades to the high school school. A large portion of the roof was replaced as a part of normal life cycle replacement, and much of the parking lot has been resurfaced. This work completes a three-year construction process that has enlarged and transformed Huntley High School. Several years ago, we made great improvements to our parking flow with the addition of a second drive. This phase of our parking lot construction will provide almost 200 more parking spaces as well as a greatly improved surface in much of the lot.
Construction work has been ongoing for most of the summer. The new lot is very close to being completed, but will not be ready at the time school begins. As we are starting school a week earlier than normal this year, the window for summer construction was shorter than usual.
Unfortunately, the construction of the new parking lot will cause a temporary closure of the east drive. Due to the closure the east drive, we will operate with the main drive as our only entry and exit point for the remainder of the project. As with most road construction projects, normal routes and travel times will be impacted. We are planning for these issues and will do everything we can to expedite traffic entering and exiting from campus until the new parking lot is completed. If the weather cooperates, the parking lot construction will be finished in early September.
What will the school do to help expedite the process at drop off and dismissal?
- We have enlisted the services of the McHenry County Sheriff’s office to control traffic at the two stop lights to keep traffic flowing and prevent backups on campus.
- We have also enlisted the Huntley Police Department to help control traffic on Harmony road allowing quicker entry and exit from the main drive with oncoming traffic.
- Please refer to the attached diagram for how we will control traffic to expedite the process. Students will enter through the main drive and enter the student lot as they did prior to construction of the East drive. Parent drop off will be redirected through Leggee to drop off and pick up in the West staff parking lot (just West of the bus lot).
- We will have staff mobilized throughout the parking lots to help with traffic flow and get students, buses, and parents on and off property as quickly as possible.
What can you do to prepare for the traffic?
- Be patient and remember the end result will be much better than what we had before for our students!
- Carpool or encourage your child to ride the bus to cut down on the number cars needing to come on and off campus daily.
- Review the attached map so you are properly prepared and know where to go once on campus.
- Pull all the way forward at drop off and pick up and cooperate with what our staff requests to expedite the process for everyone.
I am very proud of the improvements made at HHS over the past several years. In a few short weeks it will all come to completion, and our students will able to enjoy a first-class, 21st century education facility. I am very excited for the 2016-2017 school year and look forward to seeing all of our students next week.
Huntley High School