English Language Learners
Programs for English Language Learners
School District 158 offers a number of programs to support the growth of both English language skills and academic skills for students learning English. Programs are designed to meet the “No Child Left Behind” requirements as well as the State requirements for English Language Learners (ELL).
Transitional Bilingual Education (TBE) serves students when 20 or more of the same language group attend one attendance center. Children are instructed in their native language while they learn English. (learn more)
Transitional Program of Instruction (TPI), commonly referred to as English as a Second Language (ESL), serves students when 19 or less of the same language group attend one attendance center. The program allows students to focus on developing English and educational concepts appropriate for their ability and language level throughout the day. (learn more)
The goals of the programs for English Language Learners (ELL) are:
- To provide the learning opportunities that will accelerate the acquisition of English and the academic development of all ELLs.
- To help all ELL’s reach English proficiency levels according to the State standards.
- To provide a safe learning environment that values culturally and linguistically diverse populations.
English Language Development Standards establish a common yardstick across the state that defines and measures how English Language Learners systematically acquire language in the areas of listening, speaking, reading and writing. Each standard addresses a specific content area. The standards focus on the language needed and used by English language learners to succeed in school.
The Bilingual Parent Advisory Committee (BPAC) is formed by the ELL director, parents, bilingual teachers, and community leaders. They meet once a month to participate in program planning, operation, and evaluation of the program.
- Committee Members / Miembros del comité
- Goals & Mission / Objetivos y Misión
- Meeting Information / Información de reunión