HHS’s Landman Named Illinois Student Journalist of The Year

Senior Alexandra Landman, editor of Huntley High School’s award-winning student news magazine The Voice, has been named the winner in the Northern Illinois Newspaper Association (NINA) annual High School Journalist of the Year scholarship competition.

The competition, which is judged by professional journalists, comes with a $1,000 scholarship. Landman’s award recognized the professional quality of her reporting and writing.

“Alexandra Landman is an extraordinary writer, and The Voice is an extraordinary student publication,” noted one of the NINA judges.

Two articles Landman wrote, one focused on school security measures at HHS and one about a teacher’s personal story as a victim of sexual assault, were cited as strong examples of her work.

After high school, Landman plans to major in communications management at the University of Dayton. Over the past three years, she has served as sports writer, sports editor and editor-in-chief of The Voice.

She previously received a statewide award from the Illinois Women’s Press Association and a first place award for feature writing from the Illinois Journalism Education Association. In addition, Landman was named a Sweepstakes Winner in the category of sports writing from Quill and Scroll, the national student journalism honor society. For that award, her entry was deemed the best of 173 entries from students across the country.

“She’s a hard worker, a responsible and reliable editor and a creative writer who is one of the top students I have on staff,” said Voice adviser Dennis Brown. “It takes a certain kind of student who can push others to excel and have them like and respect her at the same time. That’s Alex.”

In addition, Landman and several other Voice staffers were recognized with honorable mention awards in the national Quill and Scroll competition:

• Emma Kubelka, Editorial Writing
  • Alex Landman, Editorial Writing and Feature Writing
  • Sophie Gire, News Writing and Review Column
  • Skylar Sharkey, News Writing
  • Arianna Sanchez, Photo Slideshow
  • Riy Walker, Sports Writing
  • Emily Kindl, Profile Writing

Read The Voice at http://huntleyvoice.com/.

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail