HHS Journalism Program Headlines State Competitions

The Huntley High School journalism program has garnered a host of awards during the 2015-16 school year.

Among other honors, the team finished eighth at the IHSA state finals, marking the ninth time the school has placed in the top 10 within the last 11 years. In addition, four students placed in individual categories at the IHSA state finals: Camille Paddock (2nd in feature writing), Jess Espinoza/Bri Governale (2nd in yearbook theme); Bri Governale (5th in yearbook layout); Mawa Iqbal (6th in news writing).

Senior Devin Martin also was named to the Illinois Journalism Education Association (IJEA) All-State Team, the sixth consecutive appearance of an HHS student on the team.

In the IJEA news media contest, the Voice was named best hybrid publication and best overall publication in Division V (the second-largest school division). Students also garnered 22 individual awards in IJEA competition.

“I think these awards illustrate the strength of Huntley’s program; year after year, students are challenged with producing quality work and maintaining the tradition here, and these guys kept up their end of the bargain,” said Dennis Brown, journalism teacher and adviser to The Voice, the school’s student newspaper. “They are a quality group of students who rose to the occasion and put their own personal stamp on their work besides.”

The Voice’s sister publication, the Chieftain yearbook, claimed for the first time gold certificate honors at the Northern Illinois School Press Association (NISPA) contest, signifying best in class. The Voice and huntleyvoice.com received silver certificates.

The school also had five Quill and Scroll individual category winners, more than any other school in the state. Quill and Scroll is an international high school journalism honor society that recognizes and encourages both individual and group achievements in scholastic journalism. Quill and Scroll honorees included Maddy Moffett, Ashley O’Brien, Courtney Thomas, Natalie Trzeciak, and Charlie Vavrick.

Students also garnered 14 individual awards in the Illinois Women’s Press Association’s scholastic journalism contest. Mawa Iqbal was a national qualifier for sports writing.

Read The Voice online at or read the latest print issue.